WHAT IS PHYSIOTHERAPY?
Physiotherapy can be used for working or competition animals as well as pets, to help them reach their full performance potential, to avoid injury, or to help rehabilitate an animal following a trauma or surgery.
Chartered Physiotherapists utilise a holistic approach to the patient to assess the various structures within the body for dysfunction and/or pain, and these include muscles, joints, ligaments, nerves, fascia and tendons.
The main aims of physiotherapy include:
- Restoring normal movement patterns
- Optimising function
- Enhancing performance
- Pain management
- Promoting the healing process
- Maintaining mobility and independence
- Overall improvement of health, wellbeing and quality of life
To achieve these aims a variety of treatment options can be utilised including:
- Manual therapy
- Exercise therapy and prescription
- Kinesio taping
- Education and advice
- Lifestyle management